11 Nov 2010

I Fucking Give Up

I am absolutely furious right now. I am at work and sent out an email asking for a volunteer to help design a flyer for our upcoming Awards competition. I recieved a response and forwarded it on to the committee, mistakenly omitting one person and adding another. I also made the mistake of saying that I thought the person who had submitted was completely qualified and that I'd like to ask her to design something for the Awards.

Well.

The Awards Chair immediately emailed me and informed me of my error in leaving the one person off and adding the other and told me that she 'knows that I mean well but an opinion such as the one submitted by me should really come from her as she is the Chair.'

Really. Should have come from the Chair. The same woman who cannot get her shit together enough to provide me with the documents I need in time for our monthly meetings and who then says it's my fault that they are not distributed. The same woman who is so process-oriented that nothing gets done.

I am so mad right now, I am shaking. Fuck these people. I don't want to be Executive Director, I don't want to help them further their association. I am just going to keep my fucking mouth shut and watch them sink. It seems every time I turn around, there's something else that I have done wrong.

And it isn't as if I can't take it when I err. All I ask is that there be some kind of accompanying constructive criticism. When I deal with these people, I feel like I am dealing with my step-father: when I get close to doing something right, they change the rules to make sure I'm wrong.

I have already withdrawn from the various commitees I am currently helping out on. Let's see what happens when I'm not there to fix their fucking mistakes. No more editing their emails, no more researching things, no more extra's. They don't deserve the amount of work I do.

3 comments:

Bailey said...

You sound like you are close to the edge, although one wonders how much closer you can be without actually tempting gravity. That said, one had thought that the concept that 'they don't deserve the amount of work I do' was already clearly and previously established to everyones' satisfaction. One wonders why the reiteration of what is by now surely an undeniable factoid. One is now thoroughly sick of referring to oneself in the passive third person. Lastly, one hopes you can find a balance in your life that combines keeping your job with keeping your sanity, and at the same time leads you to a resolution between your desire to earn money and your desire to exterminate those about you.
Why do you put up with this, again?

Sarrah October Young said...

Because it pays me money. Pure and simple. Until I can find another job, I have to make do with this one because I am not in a position to quit my job and live off my savings. I am both frustrated and angered by my situation however until I can move forward I must remain here and try to make the best of it.

Chewie said...

You would be an awesome Executive Director. You're already pretty much doing that job now anyway. After a few years in that position, you'll be able to retire and get on board with me at our Pub. :)