19 Mar 2009

It Didn't Suck. At All.

A few weeks ago my mother called to ask if I would want to go and see 'Dirty Dancing' with her and some colleagues from work. I hesitated, because I hated the movie, but agreed to go. I thought it would be a great way to spend a bit of time with her outside of family things (meaning without my step-father around). Last night was the big night and I have to admit, it didn't suck.

It wasn't the best thing I'd ever seen onstage, but it was entertaining. The girl playing the lead role was fantastic, which was unfortunate for everyone else in the cast as she really stood out and the rest were just filler. I thought that she was perfectly suited to the role and played it really well. What was astonishing was the amount of older ladies in the audience, hooting and hollering each time the lead male came on stage. It was almost as if they thought they were in a male strip club, with the loud requests for the men to take off their clothes ringing through the theatre every five minutes.

The main thing I want in a movie or a play or a musical is that I don't want to perceive the passage of time. If I have no idea how long I've been sitting there watching something, then I deem it good. If I look at my watch, or find my thoughts drifting away, then I'm not being entertained and I feel like I've wasted my money. Last night fell in the 'good' category because I really enjoyed watching the characters play their parts. I have no idea how it's different from the movie or which parts have been changed or edited out and I really don't care. I remember hating the movie and this was a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't go see it again, but it was good to see once with my very opinionated mother who needed to tell me which songs in the musical she still had on vinyl.

The whole thing from start to finish was really good, although I really enjoyed the scene where Baby's father rips up the cheque he was going to give to the 'nice' guy going to med school who had knocked up the main dancing girl which caused the huge kerfuffle between Baby and her father. That guy was a douche. My mom said so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that you were up at 5:30 A.M. writing a review of Dirty Dancing: The Musical, right?