11 May 2009

I Love it When A Plan Comes Together

This weekend was one of the best ever. There really isn't one definitive thing that happened that makes me say that, it's more of a meshing of everything that happened. Friday night I was out with my girlfriends and we went dancing. The last time I did that I was with a different group of people and in a very different place in my life. Friday night reminded me that life doesn't stand still no matter how much you may want it to and that when it moves you either move with it or get left behind.

Saturday the boy and I spent with my mom. We took her a gift and a sappy card and she made us burgers and fries. More than the food though, we sat around after my step-father left and just giggled. She also surprised me with a gift that brought tears to my eyes: a book full of her memories of my grandmother. It also included pictures when I was little; pictures of my dad, my mom and me on my first day home (my mom had the same hairstyle back then that I am sporting right now: weird) and lots of other stuff. One of the nicest things was that it's written by my mother, so it's all her memories of me when I was a kid and how she felt when she was a kid. It really opened my eyes to read that. I have always known that I am special to my mom and it made me feel very special to be given something so lovingly and painstakingly put together by her. I am still flipping through the pages and finding out new things about my mother and I love her even more because she's allowed me to see that secret part of her that she doesn't show anyone.

After my mom's, we went to a friend's birthday party. Then we went to a terrible strip club. Then we went to an awesome comedy club. Then on the way home, I called 911 for the very first time in my life.

The main street by our house is undergoing construction and part of it is blocked to all southbound traffic. This means you have to find an alternate route, as in don't drive any further; there is no road. We were driving northbound and saw a black sports car dragging part of the chainlink fence on its hood. The car had smashed through the barrier fence, taken off part of its fancy underside skirting and was sparking the whole way. The car was swerving, and due to the time (almost 2am) the boy and I were afraid that with the clubs letting people out someone was going to get hurt. I called 911 to let them know, and laughed when the woman asked for any distinguishing marks on the car. I told her it was dragging a fence. Then we went home and played a videogame and went to bed.

Sunday we went to see the boy's mother and went for lunch then I napped the whole way home. We got home late afternoon and sat in front of the television until I decided I needed to go to bed. There was a sleeping cat in my lap making me drowsy and I finally gave up around 9pm.

Great weekend, with another great one coming up. I have so much work to do, but I'm not complaining. Between my regular work and the magazine I'm editing plus my writing, I am going to need this long weekend to catch up on few things like sleep. And Descent.

No comments: