26 Jun 2009

Strange Times

I went to the wedding. I saw many people that I hadn't seen in years, and met some new people who are now my friends. I didn't get weepy or punchy; I was pretty numb throughout most of the day. Once dinner and the ceremony were over and the speeches were said, the party started. And then something strange happened.


Growing up, music was always streaming through our house. Whether it was Mom's Motown hits or Dad's country, we grew up with an appreciation of music. My older brother is a musician and has been in a number of bands that have toured the country. I am not musically inclined although I wish I were. My older brother has two left feet so when he came and joined me on the dancefloor, I was a little shocked. I got over it quickly though. 



This is the picture that my mother has been waiting years to see. This picture represents a lot of different things to me; the fact that my brother is back, that my family is slowly rebuilding itself and that I can now let go of a lot of anger that I've kept bottled up. I always thought that if my brother and I ever spoke again it would be at our mother's funeral, and I am glad to be wrong. Just this once.

1 comment:

Chewie said...

Aw don't sell yourself short, You've been wrong many, many times. ;)