11 Jan 2011

Maybe I Should Have Waited. . .

A little while back I made a decision. I was given a gift during the holidays that struck me as a bit inappropriate, yet due to 'good manners' I kept my mouth shut for fear of offending. It is an awesome gift, one that would have been perfect had the situation been a bit different and I felt strongly about giving it back. I told a couple of people I was going to do just that; I was going to either take it back to the store it came from or ask the person who gave it to me to come and get it. Then I made a different decision: I opened the gift and put it together.

I feel I should have given it back; by keeping it I made it seem as though such actions were welcome when they aren't. I know that the right thing to do would have been to give it back and by not doing that, I have potentially opened a door that I did not wish to.

By deciding to keep it, I have shown that I can be bought. Regardless of how ridiculous that sounds, the fact remains that I should have given back, not acted like a five-year-old and torn open the box to put it together.

I am disappointed in myself.

No comments: