12 Sept 2012

Un-common Courtesy

I don't ask for much from my fellow humans. I realize that we are brought up in different value systems and exposed to a variety of parenting styles. I know all of these things, and yet I am still surprised/shocked when I have to ask someone to give up their seat to an old woman who can barely stand.

Let me start by saying if I'd had a seat, I would have gladly given it to her. To me, it doesn't matter if she should be out on her own or not; the fact is, she is out and is on public transit and therefore should be given some measure of consideration. She probably should have a caregiver with her at all times but how many elderly people do YOU know that can afford such luxuries? I digress: that's a completely different topic for another post.

When I see elderly people or very pregnant women who have to stand on a bus or subway because people do not offer them their seat, it infuriates me. I don my superhero cape and loudly ask the person if they need to sit. When they answer in the affirmative, that is usually enough to make someone get up and if it isn't I lean forward and tap someone on the shoulder and ask them to give up their seat.

Most people are completely embarrassed by this. They should be; instead of being aware of their surroundings, they have their heads down playing with their phones. They sit, blissfully unaware of anything that is going on around them and then some loudmouth comes along and disturbs them just as they were finishing the last level of Angry Birds and makes them move so that some old person can sit down. Can you imagine the nerve?

I mistakenly believed that everyone is equipped with the same sort of common sense indicators that tell you how to behave when specific things occur. Pregnant lady? Hold the door, offer your seat. Old woman/man? Give them your seat. Every. Single. Fucking. Time. These so-called common behaviours are not so common within our society and while I could state my theory for this, I have not completed my research and don't want to comment yet. More on that later.

You won't win a prize or receive accolades when you perform small, thoughtful acts for your fellow humans. No matter who you help, they will look at you like you have an extra head because no one has ever helped them before. Most won't say thanks because helpfulness is a rarity in today's society. 

Don't help out so that you can be thanked. Do it because it's the right thing to do, and pretty soon being polite and courteous will be the norm again.




No comments: