9 Apr 2013

Turning a Negative Into a Positive

I have been working on a project that has pretty much taken over my life. Last week, I was able to finally finish it off only to be told on Monday that it wasn't good enough and had to be re-done.

I am trying to remain calm and positive but the reality of it is that I feel as though everyone involved, except my boss, pretty much sat back and watched me do this without offering any sort of assistance just so they could tell me I did it wrong. I know that isn't what happened and that I am most likely taking it personally (a huge no-no) but it's upsetting to me on a variety of different levels.

At the planning stage, long before any actions were taken, decision were made by the client with regards to the project. I had zero opportunity to input my opinions; I just showed up at the meetings and made sure that the information they were referencing was accurate. When all the decisions were made, nobody stepped up to implement the project. My boss and I shrugged and did our best to make it all happen.

And that's where we went wrong.

We should have pushed back and insisted that the appropriate people (cough, marketing, cough) take charge in implementing the project. In not doing so, we opened ourselves up to criticism and allowed ourselves to be made into scapegoats.

The lesson I learned from this? Push back when you don't feel comfortable being handed a project you have zero experience in handling. I should have offered my assistance and not allowed myself to be made the person responsible for the entire thing.

Having said that, I am totally dyeing my hair tonight. What does that have to do with the rest of my post? Absolutely nothing. I just wanted to get it out there.

No comments: