24 Mar 2015

Dealing with Negative People

We all have stories of that one person who drives us crazy in a 'smash-their-face-in-with-a-brick' way. My complaints are no different: this person I have to interact with continually pushes my buttons and makes me frustrated. What to do?

From what I understand, when someone in your life makes you feel this way it's usually because they are triggering some facet of your own personality that you don't like. So I thought about that. I sat with the anger and the frustration and I thought about what it could be that is making me not able to interact with this person.

Hours later, I am still sitting here thinking. I don't know what it is, if anything, that I see in this person that reminds me of my own behavior so I suppose for now I'll have to keep my eyes open and wait for the metaphorical lightning to hit. 

Until it does, I am going to remind myself that everyone has their own shit they are dealing with on any given day. Maybe that will help me be able to see past my own frustration and extend some sympathy and understanding instead.