9 Jul 2014

Maybe a Quick Nap Would Help

I am tired. Like, deep-down exhausted. My brain won't let me sleep though, and although I've cut out caffeine and other triggers, I am still having trouble falling asleep and staying there.

I considered napping, but then I remembered the Seinfeld episode where Kramer decides to sleep 20 minutes every 3 hours and decided against it. Here's why.

The phenomenon of sleeping in short cycles is known as polyphasic sleep. Although there have been claims that several great thinkers of the past have all practised this. I don't think I will though, after I read up on it a bit more. Apparently, there is a 'worry'.

"The worry with polyphasic sleep is whether or not it sufficiently refreshes us, something that sleeping for an extended period of time each night has been proven to do. When hunkered down for the whole night, humans go through different stages of sleep, which are broadly separated into two categories: Rapid Eye Movement (REM) and Non-Rapid Eye Movement (NREM). During REM, the body and brain remain active, resulting in dreams. In NREM sleep, the body can either sleep lightly, such as when you first start to fall asleep, or deeply – a phase where there is body movement but little brain activity. The body alternates between these phases throughout the night, and REM sleep is generally achieved about 90 minutes into sleep." - taken from here

That gives me pause. If you don't get enough sleep, you don't get enough rest, on a cellular level. Which means you can't function at a high level the next day.

Guess I will stick to my original plan of cutting out caffeine and maybe add in a shot or two of whiskey. You know, just to help out.

No comments: