22 Aug 2008

My Nemesis Returns

I have always tried to get along with people. I know that might be hard to believe, but it's true. I don't like conflict, I don't like fighting, and I have a heard time with confrontations. Every time a situation arises where I have to confront someone, my breathing shortens, my throat tightens and my eyes fill with tears at the thought of the possibility of a fight. Of course, my ex would probably disagree with that, as I'm sure it seemed to him that all I wanted to do was fight. Be that as it may, the idea of fighting paralyzes me. So when I found out today that my old nemesis from 3 years ago is back in town, I froze. 

I love comics. I always have, and probably always will. My dream job at the comic book store was just that: a dream come true. I was surrounded by the things I love in an environment that encouraged me to be creative. I wrote my first comic book there and was supported by everyone I worked with, including the owner of the store. I worked well with everyone there, I thought, and we had really great times as a team. Then, I found out that one of my closest friends there actually couldn't stand me and was just pretending.

The details aren't important because over time they become skewed and a little exaggerated. Let's just say that I found out this person was saying terrible things about me. At one point, the owner confronted me over something this other person had said  and when I demanded that the three of sit down, the other person denied everything. The owner looked at him and reminded this person that he had been told this by that person, and he just shrugged and said that the owner has misunderstood. 

It was at that point that I realized things were not going to get better and it was time to move on. I quit because of things that were being said about me and because every time I tried to do something positive for the store, it was blocked by my nemesis. There was nobody to take my side and help me get my point across as my only ally in the store had already quit because of the same kind of situation. It took me almost 2 years to be able to go back into the store without having panic attacks, and that was only after I found out that my nemesis had moved to another province. I had finally reached a point where I could go in and spend money without looking over my shoulder and I find out he's back.

What do I do? I am supposed to go to a convention tomorrow and he'll be there. I know exactly what's going to happen, too. Let me illustrate: he'll see me and throw open his arms to hug me and do the usual bill and coo over how long it's been and what have I been up to, and he's heard that I got married and how's that going, and so on. And I will be forced to play nice because people know the situation and will be watching to see what I do.

This will be good times. Guaranteed.

No comments: