26 Jun 2014

A Few Words Concerning 'Fault' and 'Blame'

There's a line in one of my favourite books that explains the origin of blame:

"Fault always lies with in the same place, my fine babies; with him weak enough to lay blame."

Let's discuss that.

I had a moment yesterday where I failed to recognize my own weakness. I wanted to attend a gathering and discovered that on the list of confirmed guests was someone I didn't care to see. In that moment, I had a choice: I could go and not engage that person, or I could not go and pout about it. I chose to not go and placed the blame squarely on this other person's shoulders. 

I felt they were directly responsible for me not going: I didn't want to see them or be in the same space as they were. Clearly not my fault, how-dare-they, and all that. 

Do you see the error?

By allowing someone to influence your decision to do things, you are in fact handing over control of yourself to that person. Sure, it would be uncomfortable to go and possibly run into someone I don't care to associate with, but far worse is the fact that I let them dictate what I would and wouldn't do with my time.

Yesterday, I showed that I was that weak person who laid blame. Today, I choose to not make that decision and to face whatever discomfort that choice might bring. 

I don't like sharing, so why give away something so precious as my own personal power?  

No comments: