24 Jun 2014

Baby Steps are Good for the Soul

I seem to spend a lot of time talking about doing things rather than just doing them. Part of that is because I suffer from a lack of confidence and I don't want to be laughed at if it should turn out that I fail. I share this trait with many other people and I am getting tired of it.

I read this article by Seth Godin that talks about compromise. One line in particular stuck out at me and made me sit back:

"Compromise gives us an out, because, with multiple goals, it's easy to play it safe."

Compromise does more than give me an out; it hobbles me to a point where every damn thing is so daunting I cannot even get started. A self-imposed daily goal of writing a thousand words does not sound too difficult when you consider how many hours in day there are in which to accomplish that. So what happens? Why can't I do it? Why can't I finish NaNoWriMo, even once?

Simple. I compromise my time away and I don't make it a priority. Also, I don't care who you are: a thousand words all in a row every single is pretty daunting. 

My solution is this: I am going to write 100 words a day on this blog. Sometimes it's going to be hard and I won't want to, and those are the times when I will really have to examine the choices I make. 

After all, when I say that I don't have time, what I'm really saying is I don't want to make it a priority.