25 Jun 2014

Hate is so 90s

I am not sure when the word 'hate' became a substitute for 'don't really care for' but I have to say I am not liking it. Same goes for people who pepper their conversations with expletives like 'fuck' for shock value. You know what would really shock me? Someone who could argue without using expletives or any of their derivatives. That's talent.

I am guilty of it as well. I use words like 'shit' because it's a generally known word and there is no need for an explanation. Depending on the situation though, you might choose a different word to describe the situation you are currently facing. Trying to use alternatives is challenging but I think it's a good exercise. Using more words less often seems to be the way to get the brain to think outside the lines that it normally operates on.

I just reread that last sentence and feel the need to explain it.

What I mean is that there are more words out there than we as a society know what to do with. Most of us rarely go outside of our comfy linguistic bubble to try and use other types of words that would mean the same as the ones we are used to. We collect words to form our own style; sort of a language wardrobe, if you will. As we change, our choice of words do as well although perhaps not as quickly as hairstyles and clothing trends.

What if we tried to use more words that aren't normally part of our roster? We wouldn't have to use them every day and in time we could build up quite the quiver of words to use that aren't like every one else's. That sounds like a challenge, one that I am game to accept.

Kind of like a linguistic hipster, without the trappings.






No comments: