28 Jan 2008

Noah Failed Me

There was a massive flood in my apartment this weekend. Not an 'oops-there's-a-leak-somewhere-and-now-it's-pooling-under-the-kitchen-sink' flood, because that would be easily contained and cleaned up. This would have made Noah himself cringe.

Friday night my husband spied a small pool of water collecting just outside the kitchen, dangerously near our laptop all snuggled up in its case for the night. At first he thought maybe the dog had had an accident but we quickly figured out that that wasn't the case. Or rather I figured it out when I saw the huge amounts of water gushing from under our kitchen cabinets. Water that soon crept out of the kitchen and snaked its way through our livingroom, down the hallway towards the front door and our bedroom. I grabbed all the towels we own, which considering we just got married 3 months ago is a lot, and built a sort of dam at the kitchen doorway.

Our apartment is just like every other; vinyl tiles in kitchen, bathroom and entrance, wood parquet flooring throughout. Vinyl tiles in kitchen and entrance lifted almost immediately but strangely enough the parquet is fine. I credit my lightening-fast reflexes and awesome problem-solving skills for this. At least we weren't alone: we live on the fifth floor and up on seven a hot water pipe burst on our side of the building causing our flood. That means everyone from seven to ground all experienced various degrees of Noah's predicament. From what we've heard we were the least damaged because we were home and could begin mopping up immediately. I feel so bad for the poor bastard who came home at whatever time to find his whole apartment flooded.

Bad news is that we were without a kitchen for the weekend, as they had to cut through the wall over and under the kitchen sink to replace part of the piping. Good news is we are getting new ceramic tiling in both the kitchen (which includes and awesome backsplash) and the front entrance. And considering that this happened Friday night, everything was fixed and back in place by early afternoon Sunday. Those guys were awesome, and my husband wrote a letter to property management commending both their hard work and their speed. Downside for that though is that I'll have to move the fridge and stove out into the living room while they tile but I'm okay with that. Plus, I get to paint!

If you haven't already noticed, I'm in much better spirits. I credit the absurdity of the flood: we were fighting like we always do about something mundane and then catastrophe hits and we're too busy cleaning and mopping and moving things to continue fighting. Plus, there was enough beer in the fridge for us to celebrate our victory over the flood. Kind of like our version of the dove and olive branch. Now when it looks like there's going to be a fight my new tactic is to laugh it off. He doesn't like it too much because he says it makes him feel stupid and I just look at him, smile and continue laughing.

No comments: