22 Dec 2009

I Feel Like a Bitch

One of my colleagues is very sick yet still continues to come into work. Why? She is sitting at her desk, hacking, coughing, and sneezing all over everything, and will most likely make everyone in the office ill just in time for our Christmas break. Does this sound like a rant? Good; because that's exactly what I'm about to do.

I understand that people need to work in order to get paid. I also understand that when you have used up all your sick time you might feel as though you have to come in despite the fact that you are ill. People have children and other responsibilities. I get that. What I don't get is the apparent double standard: people with kids don't usually allow their children to go to school or mingle with friends if they are ill. So why is it okay as an adult to throw that caution out the window when they are sick and go into work?

I am a healthy person. I eat properly, I get enough sleep, and I excercise. I don't get sick very often and when I do I can usually sleep it off. Seriously; ask my mother. I have been ill more often at my current job than I have been at any other job I have had. Why? Because it's a small company and my co-workers feel pressured to come into work when they are sick. So now, my co-worker is here spreading around her germs and everyone will no doubt end up sick. Plus, her constant cough is driving me mental. I want to walk over to her desk and shove a Halls down her throat so she'll shut up.

Grr. I have so much work to do and it's all editing-type stuff that requires concentration which I cannot do because of her coughing. I realize I am being ridiculous but come on. If you must be here, then take steps to at least try and quell your incessant cough.

I am totally wearing my grumpy pants today.

1 comment:

Chewie said...

Take off your grumpy pants and put on your happy long-johns! ;)