15 Dec 2009

Meat-filled Birthday

This year was one of the best birthdays. I had my actual birthday off and spent it with BG as he also had the day off. He made me breakfast in bed (peameal bacon and eggs) and kept refilling my coffee while I opened the gifts he bought me. Let's just say it was a very GI Joe birthday: complete dvd set of the cartoon, the 12" Storm Shadow collectible figure, the new movie on blu-ray, and a signed piece of art with my two favourite DC characters Hawkman and Hawkgirl. And that was just the beginning.

We met my mom for lunch, meandered around downtown, and went to a movie. After the movie we picked up a special order which I am not allowed to talk about because it isn't Christmas yet, but it's an awesome gift for us. We got home late and we made dinner: brussel sprouts baked in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar sprinkled with salt and pepper; mashed potatoes with onions, garlic, and grated cheddar cheese; and steak. Yummy, juicy, market-fresh steak. We had a couple glasses of wine and watched 'Predator' before calling it a night.

The next day we went over to our friends' house. BG and I had planned to wear longjohns for the evening due the extreme temperature of their house. That way we would be comfortable without being overheated or naked, which apparently would have unacceptable. As soon as we walked in the house, we took off our pants and stayed in our longjohns for the night. No kidding. T&F had planned out the whole birthday dinner thing with the help of BG and R, so I was banished to the living room with a stock of frosty beverages and a couple of Vincent Price movies.

A couple hours and more than a few beverages later, I was summoned to the kitchen. I opened my awesome presents from them which included: F-made Hawkman and Hawkgirl squishy toys (yay!), a Hawkgirl statue, comics, and a zombie book. Birthday complete? Hell no, there was more. About 10 pounds more.

They made me a Jabba the Hutt out of meat. He sat on top of a bed of mashed potatoes that resembled sand, and his sidekick Salacious Crumb was nestled in his folds. Un-freaking-believable. And so very tasty. No wonder the Hutts died out: they are delicious! F made me a birthday cake that looked exactly like the Sarlacc Pit, complete with a trapped Boba Fett. I pulled him out by his feet and totally saved his life, so now Boba Fett owes me a life debt.

I had an awesome birthday full of good friends, great food, and the warmth of family. BG's family gave me gifts the following day at the family dinner, and his mother made my favourite pie: lemon merangue. I was not expecting that at all and it really floored me that they would do something like that.

I can't wait to see how Boba Fett is going to repay me.

1 comment:

Chewie said...

The amount of planning that went into that night was ridiculous! We wouldn't have done that for anyone else you know. ;)
And by the way, the Hutts are known for their succulent meat.