19 Jan 2015

The Power of Cats

Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with a severe panic attack. I felt my throat close, I couldn't catch my breath, and in the darkness I saw stars. I was just about to go into a full-on thrash when my cat rubbed against me.

She'd been sleeping soundly, curled up right next to me. In the moment I didn't think it was odd but looking back, she almost always sleeps on the radiator next to the bed and not actually on the bed. Except for last night.

She stretched out and placed her delicate paw on my arm, pulling it closer to her. In my surprise, I reached down and ruffled her fur and she snuggled closer. I felt her warmth and was comforted by it and soon calmed down. 

I lay there, listening to my husband breathe and feeling our other cat shift in his sleep at my feet. I lay there with her snuggled up against me with her tiny paws gently touching my face as if to reassure herself that I was okay. I fell back asleep with her in my arms.

I just wanted to share that moment with you. I have never felt more loved than I did last night surrounded by those whom I cherish.

No comments: